Monday, April 27, 2009

A bit gray

No sugarcoating- I'm a bit sad.
My lil sister celebrated her 22nd birthday over the weekend by being a part of The Rescue (her first protest) and graduated from college today.  And I missed both.  I try not to ponder all that I am missing by embarking on this transatlantic journey but I couldn't help thinking of my sister.  She has grown up so much.  When she loves a quilt with stars and primary colors its difficult to remember that my little sister isn't really little.  I wasn't there when she had her first boyfriend or break-up.  I missed her 18th birthday, her first day of college, her first college-related freakout.  I missed it when she shed her faux shy exterior and boldy preached her heart out from the stage. She isn't the 16 year old she was when I left the first time around. I miss my sister.  But more importantly, I am proud of her.


I know I would still win in a tickle fight, wrestling match, or some combination of that in the snow (in my objective memory I am undefeated) but I'm proud of not-so-lil-sis and I love her.  And I would so invest a dime and call her up.

4 comments:

Susanna said...

Such proud words. I know she is proud of you too!

Dollmaker extraordinaire said...

You and Susanna must have colluded on colors and blogs. Congratulations on being the big sister. SAM's mom

Jazmine said...

big sister, you made me cry!! I miss you soo much sister. im not so little anymore am i? i cant believe i've grown up so much. i've changed so much too, and so much of it i've learned from you. Im so proud of my big sister.
I cant see me loving nobody but you for all my life!! so happy together!!
=)

alexithymiaa said...

i like the voice you write with.

(= time flies.