Monday, March 23, 2009

The Hole In My Wall or How to Meet Your Neighbors

I like to start off my Mondays slowly and quietly. Wake up, eat breakfast, read. I take my time. And then I do errands and whatever else is on my schedule.
Well today there were two people in the building pounding away. The ground floor of my building is being remodeled and everyday I hear and see the people responsible for the noise. And today my neighbor decided to do who knows what and was pounding at the wall in the foyer.
I quickly gave up any hopes for a peaceful morning and decided to go shower and then see what the noise level was. Through closed doors and running water I could still hear the pounding. In fact, it seemed to be getting louder and louder. So much that it felt that I would see someone when I opened the door to my bathroom. I open the door, draped in my huge yellow towel and I hear my neighbor's voice louder than I have ever heard it before. The walls are thin but now I could hear him clearly. I tiptoed towards the foyer, gently kicking off my sandals to avoid making any noise. I knew that something was different or perhaps living alone has made me a bit paranoid. I walk down my hallway and I see a hole in the wall!
I could leave it to your imagination the size of the hole but that would be misleading. He didn't see me and I went into my room unsure of what to do. Surely he thought I wasn't home. It would be weird for me to be home and not address the issue of the hole in my wall. So now I am getting dressed, there is a hole in the foyer, and my neighbor thinks I am not home. Its an awkward situation, particularly because I rarely see my neighbors. After I am all dry and clothed I open my front door just to see if there is a note or something. I close it and a few seconds later he is ringing my bell and apologizing. He had already called my landlord and we made plans for when we could get it fixed. He insists on sweeping up the mess and then heads back home where I hear him arguing with his wife.
To summarize, I had no peace and quiet, there is a hole in my wall that the handyman is currently fixing, and my neighbor stepped inside my apartment for the first time.
From Un paso a la vez

From Un paso a la vez

5 comments:

The 4 Milams said...

On the positive, you did meet your neighbor. Oh the stories you will have to tell. Make sure you remember them all.

Unknown said...

definitely an interesting way to meet the neighbors... funny story. :)

Unknown said...

hey i forgot to sign in under myself, the comment was from me, not mommy
-jazzy

Unknown said...

Funny, definitely an interesting way to meet your neighbors!! I like the end, where he argues with is wife. I can almost hear her saying "te lo dije"... Haha :-D

Its interesting how your thoughs seem to develop in a slightly different way in English and Spanish. Keeps things exciting...

Love ya sis,

-Dennis

Josue said...

Sorry im late to the Party you guys :)

That is an awesome story. Before I read it, I just saw the pic with the key and the hole... I just thought you were messing around with expressive art or something..

-Josue

(LOL the word I need to type in to verify that I am human is "cruds")