Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Judios y Parabolas

This is one of the videos they used here to introduce language learning



>


I am one of the very few here who does not have to learn a new language. I have to adapt to a different accent and pick up a lisp but I speak the language. My friends here are in the process of learning arabic, german, french, russian, spanish, languages I can't even spell, and right next to me a friend is laughing at the thought of having to learn gaelic. Some have said that it is not fair as they struggle with their language learning or even say that I picked the easy route. But I did not pick where I was born or where I grew up and the languages that I would learn. I grew up in a bilingual culture and God is humorous enough to send me to Spain. Why humorous? Because at some point growing up I stopped speaking in Spanish. I knew the language but I did not want to use it. Then I went to school in the midwest where I picked it up as I explored who it is that I was and who I was becoming. My mom laughs at me remembering when I could not pronounce the accent on the right syllable and would say "judios" or "para-bola." And here I am ready to be completely immersed in my native language for the first time since I was three. So to those friends back home, embrace your native language you never know why or when you'll need it. And never say never- as in "I'm never going to live in Europe." Isn't it great to have a God with a sense of humor?

No comments: