Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Olives and Mexican Tortillas

Let me begin by saying that I hate olives.
This past week was the first holiday that I was separated from my family, which meant no rice or beans or tacos for Thanksgiving. The past few years Thanksgiving has meant tacos- we did away with the turkey and I'm not sure we've ever had stuffing or green bean casserole. But apparently the rest of the country still insists on eating turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, and ham on this day. It was really the first time I ate a typical American meal on this holiday. The cooks did a great job with it but I couldn't help missing my type of meal and all the things that come with it.
When I told my mom what my meal was- we had finished dinner 2 hours before they even got to my cousin's house- she laughed and told me what her first holiday outside of Nicaragua was like and how strange the food was to her. She must have thought: tacos, who eats tacos, and why are these tortillas so thin and then proceeded to miss what she was used to. I grew up with a mix of Nicaraguan and Mexican food and cannot even imagine my mom not loving Mexican tortillas or chile.
It really made me think. I've always heard my mom's stories- how she grew up and left a country that was home to her two times. I've heard all kinds of stories but this was the first time I really stopped to think of some of the emotions attached to it....It also made me think that maybe, just maybe, there is hope for the possibility of actually enjoying olives. But then again, olives are nothing like Mexican tortillas.

2 comments:

Jazmine said...

you're going to become an olive fan. yucky!! and you're going to come back eating all sorts of weird stuff.

Heidi said...

Hmmm ... I hate, hate, hate olives too, particularly the black ones, but in Italy they have this bread they make with green olives baked inside it ... and, a couple of months later, what do you know, it tastes kind of good ...